When Should Your Child See an Orthodontist?
If you notice any of these problems in yourself or your child, you should make an appointment to see an orthodontist:
- Early or late loss of baby teeth
- Difficulty chewing or biting
- Mouth breathing
- Sucking thumb, fingers, or lower lip
- Crowded or blocked out teeth
- Protruding teeth
- Facial asymmetry or irregular jaw relationship
- Excessive overbite or underbite
- Jaws that pop, make noise, or are painful
- Grinding or clenching teeth
- Abnormal wear of teeth
- Inability to comfortably close lips
There are some problems that should be corrected early, so be sure to take your child to see an orthodontist around the age of 7 as recommended by the American Association of Orthodontists.